Friday 25 March 2011

Evaluation Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

Below is the video I created in answer to question 2.



Here is the script I used for the voice over.


Hello, I'm Charlotte McHale and this is the music video I created for 'Teenage Kicks' by The Undertones. The Undertones are a punk rock / new wave band from the 70's.

When I began thinking of different themes and designs for my media products, I decided I wanted it to have an ‘indie’ theme. To achieve this, I made sure I featured shots of the band, a story line, and a fun element to the video. The look I was trying to achieve was that the band were new and upcoming, and ‘Teenage Kicks’ was their first music video, so therefore looks low-budget. I wanted the band to look like they were in band practice to give a laid back appeal. The narrative features a boy who falls in love with a girl he see's, and about what they get up to, basically everything a teenager is stereotypically supposed to do. I feel that this narrative strongly links in with the lyrics of the song.

Inspiration for my video and my ancillary texts came from looking at other music videos and digi-pak’s, such as Vampire Weekend, Mystery Jets, The Smiths and Blondie. Their photo’s and designs are simplistic and can be quite cold looking, and this is conventional for an 'indie' theme. The music video, such as ‘Young Love’ by the Mystery Jets, has a fun, laid back feeling to it. I tried to achieve this in my music video and other products.

My digi pak works well with the theme of my music video, as the pictures used are simplistic and bold, which fits in well with the indie theme. I also used a few still’s from my video which links the digi-pak and the video together. I took lots of photos of the girl in my music video in a dark studio, and I feel although it may not be very similar to the film, I feel that by using a dark background and harsh lighting on her represents teen rebellion, and I also have her smoking in one of the pictures which further emphasizes this theme. I decided to have the CD in the style of a record. I did this as it gives a vintage feel, and also because it fits into the time period of the song.

My poster works well with my music video as it is straight to the point and shows that the band is new and starting their first tour, and this is the theme I was aiming for in my film. I feel that my poster also works very well my digi-pak, as the background is black and features the front cover of the album. It is simplistic, bold and eyecatching. I have added quotes about the band underneath in yellow so that they stand out against the black back ground. The picture I used for my front cover is a direct mode of address, and I feel it is very eyecatching, and this is a good factor for a poster as it grabs people attention.

The digi-pak and the poster compliment each other very well, as the font is the same on both of them, and it is big and bold. Also, the background colour is black, which is the same as the panels on the digi-pak and the lighting is similar on both also. My video may not be as dark as the digi-pak or poster, but it still has a teenage factor to it with smoking, sexua references and a laid back, fun feel to it. I feel all three media products work well together, as they all portray teenage adolescents in a new and upcoming band.

No comments:

Post a Comment